When travelling to Austria, the cities of Vienna and Salzburg are a must visit. But you also need to include Innsbruck in your itinerary. Here’s why:
- Innsbruck is known as the ‘Capital of the Alps’ and offers a unique blend of Alpine flair, urban living, and imperial architecture. It is the leading Alpine tourism destination offering something for everyone.
- It’s home to the highest altitude zoo in Europe, The Alpine Zoo – the world’s only themed zoo.
- Innsbruck was once the residence of the Austrian Emperor, and here you will find two historical buildings from the Habsburg dynasty – The Hofburg Imperial Palace and the Hofkirche Imperial Church.
- Innsbruck is known for its Olympic heritage and the only city in the world to host the Olympic Winter Games thrice so far. The Olympic Tower designed by star architect Zaha Hadid is a prominent landmark and the restaurant located at the top of the tower is definitely worth a visit.
- Ride in a cable car to see the picturesque mountain scenery. The rides offer breathtaking views and you get to witness how the urban city is juxtaposed with natural beauty and imperial history. Known as the ‘Jewel of the Alps’, the Nordkette Cable Railways is taking the city to newer heights.
- In the winters there is a wide range of activities to choose from – ice skating, skiing, bob sleighing, or simply stroll around the Christmas markets.
- One of the main attractions close to Innsbruck is the Swarovski Crystal World, a museum that was built in 1995 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the crystal company.
And if these reasons aren’t enough, Bollywood’s Ace director, Karan Johar’s latest production ‘Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’, (to be released in the second half of the year), has been shot here!
– TS writer Tanya Anand (Information and images courtesy Innsbruck Tourism Board).