Heading to Athens this summer? Here is a list of ten offbeat things that you can do.
1.Head to Sounio, home of the Greek God Poseidon. It’s an hour and half away from Athens and makes for a great day trip.
2. Catch a drink or two at Brettos, Athens’ oldest distillery.
3. Love street shopping? Make your way to Monastiraki flea market, the best place to buy souvenirs, clothes, collectibles and more. You are sure to have bags heavy with bric-a-bracs once you leave here.
4. Appreciate street art at Metaxourgeio, located conveniently between Omonia square and Larissa train stations.
5. Ditch the crowd and stroll down the lanes of Anafiotika. A sleepy little neighbourhood, adjacent to Plaka, it affords great views of the Acropolis.
6. Checkout the world’s oldest computer, the Antikythera Mechanism, at the National Archaeological Museum of Athens.
7. Go back in time and explore ancient human history at the Syntagma Square Metro Station.
8. Get yourself an even suntan at Kavouri beach.
9. Take a cable car ride to the top of Lycabettus hill from Aristippou and Ploutarchou. The ride offers a dazzling aerial view of Athens and the Saronic Gulf in the distance.
10. Catch a performance of shadow puppetry at the Spathario Museum of Shadow Theatre.