These images from Greece Tourism landed in our inbox, triggering major wanderlust.
Our picks from the press release:
Macedonia, Thrace, Epirus, Thessaly, Central Greece, Peloponnese, Western Greece, and well-known islands in the Aegean, the Ionian, and Crete are easily accessible by air, low on crowds and look stunning in winter. Here’s what you can see and do:
- Go skiing and snowboarding on Parnassos, Kalavryta, Kaimaktsalan, Vasilitsa, Tria-Pente Pigadia, Pelion and Mainalo Mountains. Hiking, horse riding, mountaineering and mountain biking will lead you deep into the heart of Greek nature.
- Christmas is gone, but the festivities continue. You still have time to catch the grand Apokreas Carnival that usually happens towards the end of February: a great time to eat, drink and meet the locals. I
- Stroll the charming villages of Arachova in Central Greece and Palaios Agios Athanasios. They’re located close to the ski resorts.
- Take your pick of the most amazing National Parks: mountains, impressive caves, deep shaded gorges, wetland habitats and other remarkable ecosystems abound in them. We suggest Pindus, Parnassos, Vikos, Parnitha, Olympus, Mainalo mountains and the Forest of Dadia, as well as the ones in Lake Kerkini, Prespes, Vegoritida and in Nestos River.
- Catch the nightlife vibe in Athens, Thessaloniki and Patras, the country’s three biggest cities.